Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
Looking at the huge technological progress, it has been admitted that computer has overpassed its assigned role of computation and has emerged as an electronic brain with much greater capability. Computer science becomes a discipline that contributes in advancing other disciplines such as health-care, environmental science, and engineering, etc.
The Computer Science (CS) department offers undergraduate majors that provide students with broad and solid knowledge base, supported with technical skills and high capability for problem solving.
The following objectives are set in line with the mission and vision of the department and with respect to the values of the university. The CS department has as objectives:
- To provide high quality education in computer science by enhancing teaching effectiveness in both theoretical and practical aspects and continuously developing the curriculum to satisfy the technological evolution and the labor-market needs.
- To promote the computer science education and broaden learning opportunities for all students.
- To serve the university and the community through the practice of professional activities and services in the computer science field
- To provide an academic research environment to contribute in the advancement of computer science.
The majors’ programs also allow students to obtain a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in CS with one of the following majors areas of high needs for the labor market in Lebanon and worldwide: Computing, and Computer and Network Security.
- Proficiency in the practice of computer sciences
- Formulate, analyze, and compare solutions of computing problems
- Assess and effectively manage the whole spectrum of computing infrastructure including computer hardware, software, management systems, programming environments, and operating systems.
- Apply methodologies and techniques to build efficient computing systems adapted with the emerging information infrastructure
- Computing major
- Apply advanced algorithmic concepts to design, implement, and analyze software systems
- Apply mathematical concepts and theories in the modeling and design of software solutions
- Computer and Network Security major
- Protect of information at the computer and network level
- Understand the technical and social perspectives, how attacks work, the technologies and approaches used as keys to being able to protect against attacks
- Understand and manage system risks by prioritizing risks, deploying resources efficiently and treating risks using a consistent and documented approach taking into account threats, vulnerabilities, assets and harm.
- Analysis, modeling, critical thinking, and problem solving
- Analyze real-world problems in different application domain across logical, algorithmic, and mathematical capabilities
- Project theoretical and analytical theories in the CS discipline to solve a wide set of complex work processes
- Conceive and validate correct, efficient, and mathematical-based problem-solving schemes strengthened with well-structured thinking
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Work individually and collaboratively in a team to achieve group goals and objectives
- Efficiently communicate technical knowledge
- Listen empathically and effectively to speakers on technical and non-technical subjects
- Present information in simple terms and make it accessible to technological neophytes
- Research, library and technology skills
- Apply mathematics and concepts of computer science to graduate studies
- Adapt to evolving methodologies of computing and to advances technologies in computer science profession
Achieving successfully 100 credits as follows:
|University Requirement||9 credits|
|Department Requirement (Core)||49 credits|
|Concentration Requirements (Major)||30 credits|
|· Department elective||6 credits|
|· Free elective||6 credits|
|Total credits||100 credits|
- Obtaining a minimum cumulative GPA of 2 over 4.
3 years for non-transfer students, with an official Lebanese BACC degree, who successfully pass their placement tests (English, Arabic, Math, and IT).
3 -3.5 years for non-transfer students, with an official Lebanese BACC II degree, who need some remedial courses (English, Arabic, Math, and IT).
Transfer students study duration depends on the amount of transferred credits.
CS students who want to get a double concentration should take fifteen extra credits minimum to be discussed with their advisor. They are encouraged to take their decision in this regard as early as possible while in their studies.
Candidates aiming to join the CS department at USAL should sit for four placement tests:
- IT (Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Students who do not successfully pass these tests will be required to take some remedial courses, determined based on the placement test results.